San Francisco’s Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) is a part of the National SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program). The California Department of Aging administers the program, and in San Francisco, we are sponsored by the Department of Aging and Adult Services and the non-profit organization Self-Help for the Elderly.
HICAP is a free service. The program is supported by state and federal funding and individual donations, and the generosity of volunteer counselors.
In 2010, 5 HICAP staff and 14 volunteer counselors assisted 1,400 clients in San Francisco. Our counselors meet with about 120 people a month.
Get free Medicare counseling from San Francisco HICAP…
HICAP Counselors can:
- Explain Medicare benefits such as Parts A, B, C (Medicare Advantage) & D
- Explain how Medicare works together with plans Medi-Cal, employer plans, retiree plans, COBRA, Veterans' benefits, or other health coverage.
- Explain supplemental insurance, or Medigap
- Help you review medical bills and claims
- Help you find a Part D drug plan
- Help you compare insurance plans and options
- Screen you for assistance programs to save you money
- Provide background on long-term care insurance
- Talk to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, or other providers on your behalf
HICAP Counselors can NOT:
- Sell or endorse any specific insurance plans
- Choose plans or make decisions for you
- Give legal or financial advice
San Francisco HICAP
407 Sansome Street
San Francisco CA 94111